Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Welcome aboard

I also work at Spectrum Health, I like to still call it Butterworth. I have been a nurse for 26 yrs. I currently work in Pre Procedure Planning. What I do is to make telephone calls to patients who are coming in for surgery at Butterworth, Blodgett, Meijer Heart Center, Lake Dr., East Paris Surg Center or Lake Dr surgery center. Yes, we have job security, and are always busy. We complete a health assessment and discuss pre and post op surgery routines. I am excited to say that this is my last class in the Ferris State's RN to BSN program. Not sure how, but instead of taking English at the beginning... here I am now. My spare time is less since my husband, a machinist, was layed off which means I am now the breadwinner in the family. I am a wife, mother of 3, nurse, student, and help care for an elderly aunt who recently broke her hip. I love to cheer my kids on at sporting events, read, and I need to finish a baby blanket I am knitting. Yeah! It's pink. My son and new daughter in law are expecting 3/11/09. I am active at church and try to get a few visits to middle school for activities with my other son and daughter.
At work, my writing is mostly in charting. For nursing we have always been taught to be concise and to the point. I am having more interactions with Policy and Procedures as we merge with the ambulatory surgery center nurses. I would love to use my BSN in some form of educating. We will see what doors open for me.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Eileen, I think that we were in Health Promotion with Omar. That seems so long ago. I am glad to see that you are going to be finished with school in May. Congratulations on the upcoming grand-daughter, you must be very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am a LPN that works at Spectrum Health Rehab and Nusring Center. I still like to call it Continuing Care Center; some still call it Grand Valley. Who can keep up? =)
    I am majoring in Health Care Administration. I juggled with the idea of completing my RN. I actually have 5 classes left at GRCC. However, being a wife and mother of three, the traditional RN program seems impossible. I started the program but stopped as it interfered too much with my home life. I understand you must make sacrafices for your goals, but my family is not one I am willing to make. The further I considered my future career path, the idea of management sounds better and better. i would love to enter the field of consulting/analyzing or healthcare law. Only time will tell.
    I have been a nurse for 7 years next month. I enjoy my patients and the small joys I can bring them. I feel satisfaction knowing I have comforted someone and assisted them in meeting their rehab goals. I have worked closely with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) patients and their families. The longer I work in this field, the more I see room for improvement in policy. I am following what I believe to be my dream.

    ReplyDelete