Monday, February 23, 2009

This was kind of a difficult topic to choose because I was actually able to pick something personal this time instead of referring to my field of study or work. I am picking to write a paper about single women raising boys and the impact it has on their turn out. I picked this topic because there is a lot of information backing that states single women actually raise better boys. There is also a lot of information on the flip side stating that a boy should be raised by both a mother and a father. This is a very personal topic for me since I am a single mother of three boys. At different times in my life, I have been told that a woman can’t raise a man. It is a great topic to sort of debate and argue. I want to be able to research the information and find research that proves it can be done and that at times the children actually turn out better when being raised by a single mother. Since there are distinct sides to argue, this would make a good topic. I am excited to actually do the research and find statistics as to how this affects a child’s outcome. What made this decision difficult was the fact that I wanted to add and turn it into how single white women raising black children affects a child’s outcome. However, after researching a bit, I found that narrowing and being this specific limited the amount of resources available online and in print. I also did not want to start a racial debate so I have decided to stay away from that portion of it and leave the black and white part out. In conclusion, my final decision on the topic in which I am going to be using is as follows. How does a single mother raising a boy affect the child’s future and outcome? Can it be done or is the child doomed from the start?

No comments:

Post a Comment